Firstly, we at Capital take our environmental commitment very seriously and environmental protection is a key management priority for our company.
Ricoh, one of our equipment manufacturer and suppliers, is the global leader in the manufacture of environmentally friendly office products.
Our own Environmental Management System.
In September 2005 our system was fully audited by the British Standards Institute and our Edinburgh office was awarded certification to BS EN ISO 14001:2004. This was closely followed by our Glasgow office, which received its BS EN ISO 14001:2004 accreditation in March 2006. Our Aberdeen office achieved their accreditation in October 2007. We were the first independent dealer in Scotland to achieve this status across all our offices.
In August 2017 we successfully transitioned to the new standard, ISO14001:2015. This reflects our work to adopt a life cycle approach and prioritise the re-use and recycling of equipment.
Here are some examples of Capital’s current environmental commitment:
- All internal and customers’ multifunctional products (MFPs) have Energy Save functions activated.
- A recycling centre for our products operates within our Edinburgh head office. This involves the refurbishment of trade-in equipment for re-sale or the stripping down of machines for re-use or recycling. In March 2018 we moved our recycling centre into a newly refurbished facility, which increased the space available for recycling equipment threefold.
- We supply copier paper that is manufactured to exacting standards by mills carrying ISO9001 and ISO14001 accreditation. Paper is sourced from sustainable forests carrying either FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council), PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification) or EU Flower accreditations.
- All used office paper is segregated and also recycled.
- Packaging is reused or recycled wherever possible.
- Consolidation of orders to help reduce consumption of natural resources and also greenhouse gas emissions.
- Ricoh’s Green Centre in Wellingborough is used for the recycling of used parts, consumables and toner.
- 71% of our waste stream has been diverted from landfill since April 2004 against a 75% increase in turnover.
- Our leased fleet of vehicles are made up of eco-friendly VW Bluemotion, helping to reduce CO2 emissions.
- All our service vehicles are fitted with telematics systems to allow jobs to be allocated to the closest engineers and enable swift response to call outs and also help minimise our impact on the environment by vehicles.