Scott Glynn decided to embark on a challenge.
He wanted to raise funds for a few deserving charities.
Scott hit the big 50 so thought he would do something different. With his love of walking and also rugby he thought he’d combine them with a sponsored walk around East Lothian’s rugby clubs (57 miles) over the 4th & 5th May.
Scott’s goal was to raise £5,000. – Scott went on to raise an outstanding £34,342!
Scott’s chosen and very deserving charities were:
- The Bill McLaren Foundation, which was chosen for their grass roots and their support of young people,
- Hearts & Balls, Scott supported this charity after his long history with rugby, which supports players and families who are affected by injury or illness,
- Erskine simply for supporting our veterans young and old,
- Teenage Cancer Trust unfortunately everyone knows someone who has been affected by cancer and this charity provides specialist facilities for teenagers and also
- Cahonas Scotland. After trying to raise funds for 2 years they have now been able to print fliers to raise awareness about male cancer.
There were many other supporters walking for their own chosen charities. 10% of donations were given to Scott’s charities.
For the trip there was a group of around 26 walkers and for one of the legs 96 walkers joined Scott. Not only was the trip very emotional it also had a great outcome where the experience brought all the charities together. It was not only the charities who benefited but the people themselves. They met new friends and old. They had a purpose to get up and do something. Most of all, at the end they realised that they could achieve goals that they personally thought they never could. It also brought the communities together as well .
After the success of this event, Scott has decided that it should also happen again next year. So please, get involved and support these deserving causes, or someone that you would like to support.